Many say that there are only 2 seasons in Canada. Winter and & construction. The good news is, construction season is also BBQ season! So let’s fire up the “Q”, as it’s affectionately referred to here in Canada and let’s look at some tips to help you make the PERFEFCT BBQ steak. Let’s call them “Q-Tips” (Do you see what I did there?) Here we go!
- To make beef great, marinate! Marinating increases tenderness and adds exciting flavour to your meat; just remember to use a glass or ceramic dish for marinating, as metal can transfer a metallic flavour.
- For perfectly grilled steaks, have one side of your grill set on high and the other side on low. This way you can sear the steaks on the hot side and then move them over to the cooler side to finish cooking in slow, moisture-retaining environment.
- To keep steaks tender, leave the meat in the vacuum pack and thaw in cold water or overnight in the refrigerator. Definitely don’t microwave to thaw; it toughens and damages the steak before it reaches the grill.
- Just say no to salt! Avoid salting your steaks before cooking as it draws out the juices and dries out your steak.
- Only turn steaks over when bubbles appear on the surface, and remember to use tongs, not a fork. Each time that bubbles appear, turn the steak over to let the juices drain back into the meat.
- Get the best-looking grill marks by rotating your steaks a half turn on the grill halfway through the cooking time. Do this on both sides.